Every week the Melodic staff assembles a Weekly Roundup playlist of songs we can’t stop listening to. We had so many good songs to choose from this week it was hard to pick 5 stand-out selections!
Here are some of the highlights:
1. “Breadwinner” – Floyd Fuji ft. Topaz Jones
The latest single from Floyd Fuji and Topaz Jones has no patience for first dates or hooking up… let’s skip straight to the point: they want to come home, relax after a long day at work, and be your breadwinner. This song is catchy as all get-out and Topaz’s verse at around the 1:30 mark is the perfect addition. You’ll want to make this single part of your regular rotation.
2. “Girl, I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend” – Tessa Kaye
Sometimes you’re in the mood for a Hot Girl Summer, but other times you meet that one person who makes you want to forget all that and just settle down. Tessa Kaye has met her match in “Girl, I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend,” a sweet love letter to a woman who the singer never saw coming. Kaye sings the song tentatively in the verses, encapsulating those cautious first steps when asking someone out and making sure that your advances are welcome and reciprocated. We certainly hope that this story had a happy ending!
3. “A Thousand Songs” – King Youngblood
Though King Youngblood’s single is titled “A Thousand Songs,” the name couldn’t be more ironic as this song has a sound all its own. It certainly has the vibes of classic pop/punk/rock acts such as Motion City Soundtrack and old school Fall Out Boy, but there’s also a singer/songwriter quality present in the lyrical style and some of the instrumentation, particularly the twinkling piano that comes in about halfway through. It’s that quality that we’re not quite able to put our finger on that makes “A Thousand Songs” one that we think you’ll want to pay attention to.
4. “things i wish you said” – nobody likes you pat
“I don’t want to be a problem/ I know people have more trauma than I do” starts the latest single from Minnesota-based singer/songwriter nobody likes you pat. The lyrics go on to address an alcoholic father who left the subject feeling lonely and wanting, wishing for “the things I wish you said.” It’s a truly heartbreaking and poignant track, and well worth a listen.
5. “Breakaway” – Avril Lavigne
Honestly, I’d be remiss to ignore that this month marked 20 years since Avril Lavigne’s debut album, Let Go, was released. I wore out this CD to the point where I had to rip the music onto our home DELL computer in order to burn it onto a new disc. In celebration of the anniversary, Lavigne put out a re-release of the album that includes a few bonus tracks, including “Breakaway,” a song that you most likely will remember being performed by Kelly Clarkson for the Princess Diaries soundtrack. Avril’s take is a little more subdued, but I love getting a peak behind the pop music industry curtain.
You can listen to more of our picks on our Spotify playlist below. Don’t forget to hit that “follow” button!
1. Floyd Fuji ft. Topaz Jones – “Breadwinner”
2. Halsey – “So Good”
3. Will Joseph Cook ft. chloe moriondo – “Be Around Me”
4. push baby – “Circles”
5. Tessa Kaye – “Girl, I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend”
6. Abby Roberts – “bandaid”
7. Cavetown ft. Orla Garland – “Fall In Love With A Girl”
8. The Wrecks – “I Love This Part”
9. The Aces – “Girls Make Me Wanna Die”
10. King Youngblood – “A Thousand Songs”
11. Pale Waves – “Reasons To Live”
12. Nadia Kamrath – “Feel This Once”
13. All Time Low– “Blinding Lights”
14. Amateur Hockey Club – “Boxed Wine”
15. nobody likes you pat– “things i wish you said”
16. Daulton Hopkins ft. Victoria Bigelow – “Mona Lisa”
17. ryn– “is that ok?”
18. DYLVN – “Feeling For Nothing”
19. Near Beer – “Mixtape Generation”
20. Avril Lavigne – “Breakaway”
21. Cecilia Castleman – “Lonely Nights”