Every week the Melodic staff assembles a Weekly Roundup playlist of songs we can’t stop listening to. Next Monday (Dec. 26), we’ll be taking some time off, so this is a the final Roundup for 2022!
Here are some of the highlights:
1. “Nobody Gets Me” – SZA
It’s been 5 years since SZA released an album and man, was it worth it. SOS by SZA fully demonstrates the 33-year-old’s talents, showcasing her smooth vocals, intricate melodies, and impeccable writing skills. She has really taken the time to experiment with different sounds, from the various genres this album goes through, to the artists who are featured in several of the songs. Her sophomore album is even better than the last, and is sure to become a classic in the future.
– Sara De Ledesma
2. “Over You / Over Me” – M. Byrd
Twinkling synths and strings, commanding drum patterns, and classic arena rock-style guitar riffs come together to create the trance-like aura of the track, acting as a vacuum, or a portal, to another world. However, just when it begins to sink its teeth into the listener, it’s over: no over-embellishment, only a song that does what it needs to do and concludes in what feels like an instant.
– Noah Wade
3. “Fork In The Road” – Goody Grace
Goody Grace only needs an acoustic guitar to shine, which is evident on “Fork In The Road.” It is as beautiful as it is sad, as we hear about some of the singer-songwriter’s conflicted thoughts and feelings towards growing up. On social media, Goody Grace shared that the track marks the beginning of a new sound for him, as well as a new chapter, building the hype for 2023.
– Christine Sloman
4. “You Will Never Work In Television Again (Live at Montreaux Jazz Festival)” – The Smile
This is perhaps the most exciting thing about The Smile – they appear to be doing the opposite of slowing down, and are seemingly picking up steam to keep this going for the long run. Whatever 2023 holds for The Smile (and given Yorke’s comments on-stage, they’ll probably be back next year for more), this is a show you don’t need to miss.
– Jones Willingham
You can listen to more of our picks on our Spotify playlist below. Don’t forget to hit that “follow” button!
1. SZA – “Nobody Gets Me”
2. SHAZ – “Come on Over”
3. Danny Kuttner- “Come Play With Me”
4. Emily Guitar – “Honey”
5. M. Byrd – “Over You / Over Me”
6. Lolita – “Chi-Chi Suelta”
7. Dance Yourself Clean – “Losing Focus”
8. Juice WRLD – “Face 2 Face”
9. PET NEEDS – “Lost Again”
10. Goody Grace – “Fork In The Road”
11. The Beaches – “Orpheus”
12. Juliana Madrid – “Madonna”
13. Caroline Polachek – “Sunset”
14. The Weeknd – “Nothing Is Lost (You Give Me Strength)
15. The Smile – “You Will Never Work In Television Again (Live at Montreaux Jazz Festival)”
16. FLO – “Losing You”